|Home/ Italy/ Pisa/ battistero_5|
|Baptistry of Field of Miracles (Battistero di Campo del Miracoli)|
Most people know Pisa's famous Leaning Tower. Fewer know that it's just one component in a lovely
ensemble of medieval buildings; fewer still know that the rest of the city -- sadly --
is a largely modern place, the result of heavy bombing during Second World War.
Campo del Miracoli is a large grassy piazza that contains
the Leaning Tower (Torre Pendente), the Cathedral (Duomo),
the above Baptistry (Battistero), and the cemetary (Camposanto).
The plain interior of the Baptistry is in marked contrast to its intricately fashioned exterior.
The baptistry was built in 1152 AD. A staggering pulpit by Nicola Pisano stands
Last Revised October 5, 2007